Blog Archive

Monday 25 February 2019

From Climate Changer to Eco-warrior



From Climate Changer to Eco-warrior


A couple of weeks ago I was roaring to work amidst a blue haze of emissions. Now I glide there in silky smooth silence with no emission coming out of the exhaust. Indeed, there’s no exhaust! A few electrons spin the magnets that spin the wheels and speed me along my way.


I am astonished how cars have changed in the decades since I last bought one. Now, if I wander across the road, the steering wheel twitches me back on course. If I get too close to the school bus ahead my car automatically breaks to adjust my following distance. And when I break the motor spins and sends more electrons to the batteries.


I now have my sleepiness monitored and, if my clever car thinks that I’m a danger to shipping, a coffee cup appears on the dashboard. Sadly no aroma or freshly brewed nectar follows but I’m pretty sure  it’s available as an upgrade.


Gone are the Spitfire days. Now it’s all about cosseted, zero emission journeys with a nervous eye on the battery level and the nagging fears about range limitation. A new age of adventure!