Suited and booted for the brief Arctic night we cruise south along the Blosseville Coast. The wind has dropped to nothing and the seas around us are oily calm. Only a gentle swell rocks the boat. To the north west and on our starboard the sun ducks behind yet another mountain range intricately dissected by glacier after glacier. Gently inclining these icy monsters meander their way from ice cap to sea. To our port, and out to sea, a sparse peppering of icebergs glow yellow in the evening sun. No one wants to leave the cockpit as another magical Greenlandic day comes to a close.
Rarely can anyone sail so close to this coast as it is usually beset by ice. Wild and remote it is untouched by humans and is the domain of the Polar Bear. We would love to see one of these noble creatures but are in no doubt of their danger. Any bears here will have been robbed of their hunting ground which is the ice and will be ravenously hungry. We venture cautiously into their realm.
- ► 2009 (28)
- Blue sky, sparkling sea and brilliant white bergs
- Sailing downwind for the first time. North to Jyet...
- The scenery just keeps hetting better and better
- Our Furthest North: 71 06N 25 39W
- A day ashore on Bear Island
- photos of and around Jyettes Havn
- Jyttes Havn panorama from above
- Shimshal's Deck Saloon
- Driving the wrong way down a motorway
- Idyllic anchorage but with a rock hard bottom -Har...
- Some fishermen are more successful than others
- Today Shimshal found her limits
- Even Further North - Sydkap 71 17N
- photos of the last 48 hours
- The lesser northern diver
- Rod and Denzil sounding the route into a new ancho...
- photos from the last 24 hours
- A Farewell to Scoresby Sound
- Heading South
- Fwd: Ocean Cruising
- Suited and booted for the brief Arctic night
- Henry Land
- Hard rocky bottoms
- A sad farewell
- They greeted us when we arrived and waved us goodb...
- Our last Greenland anchorage
- Anchorages in Scoresby Sound and Turner Island 201...
- Shimshal's good looks make her a minor celebrity i...
- "No Pressure" -a blog by Rod.
- Downhill to Reykjavik
- A gentle sail back to Reykjavik
- A link to a 15 minute slideshow of our summer crui...
- Drone photography
- Link to Google+ photo Album
- ▼ August (34)